Sunday, October 24, 2010

HOME iS WHERE THE HEART iS

We go through life being told what to do, how to do it and how well we did it. But I don't think that's how I'm ever going to look at life again. I lost two of my friends to one mistake on Sunday, October 17th. I've never felt so numb in my life, knowing that we will never laugh at each other's jokes, bruises or even just sit and wonder what is actually out there. With the loss of my uncle, I feel pretty alone and hopeless at times, though I know there is lots of people out there who love me. It was a great thing to see the huge line of people at the funerals on Friday, and I will never forget it all. I'll never forget the parents faces, the girlfriends broken hearts and the strongest friends I have crying at the thought of out beloved friends.

But what Travis and Dominick taught us in the 18 years of <LiFE> they had here with us, is that you should never settle for the best. Never settle for the greatest. Reach farther. Know that there is MORE. More than what you are dreaming of. And most of all, to not let anyone tell you how to have faith, how to love, how to live and never give up hope.

So sitting here at this laptop at ten-thirty at night  fulfilling an assignment task I realise that most of us here on earth are doing just that: fulfilling tasks. This thankfully will not get graded, which is really the only thing here at college I feel is not. Here at college, the professors grade you and test you and make you fill the requirements as fast as possible to get you out in the work force as sooooon as possible. But what about life?

College students are pushed and prodded to be the best in everything, and told that if not, they will fail at life, fail at having a career. But Travis and Dom, they only had a few years here on earth. They LiVED. They had a LiFE. They, are what I towards when I'm feeling lost. I may cry, I may loose it and sob my eyes out for an hour or so, but then I realise that they would want me to do what I need to. Not because that is what my professors told me to do at the beginning of college, but so that they can live on in the things that I do. So that they can live on in the LiFE that I am going to have. A LiFE without judgements and without doubt. I will be successful not because I want to be successful, but for those who will need my help. The loving and caring help I learned from those two boys- and undieing one.

No comments: